[pmwiki-users] Find out password for one page

Mike mike at widowitz.com
Mon Oct 2 14:36:37 CDT 2006

Hi PM,

Patrick R. Michaud wrote on 02.10.2006 19:03:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 06:54:30PM +0200, Mike wrote:
>>    What is the most clever way to add additional passwords without affecting
>>    the existing ones?
>
> There's not a clever way to do this yet, sorry.
>
> I've been thinking of modifying the page attributes form so
> that one could enter "+password" or "+ at group" to add a password
> or group to the current set, and "-password" or "- at group"
> to remove a password or group from the set.  But this doesn't
> exist yet.

I see. One of the really cool features of PmWiki that I'm looking
forward to using is that I can set different access rights for different
(or virtually any) parts of the wiki. However, I know already now that
very soon I might lose track of who may do what.

Now the problem is that due to the fact that passwords are always
encrypted, I can't never see them after they have been set (which of
course, security-wise, is the right way to go).

I checked AuthUser (which otherwise I wouldn't need), but it doesn't
seem to help me in my problem, as the core information of who may see
what is again encrypted (in the id:username string).

It would already be helpful if either
* there way a way in AuthUser to see at least the users who have certain
rights on certain pages, or if
* the whole password mechanism moved from action=attr to some
administrator-only config file. Similarly to how we can set default
passwords in the config.php, maybe we can also set passwords for
page/group/site (differentiated by read/edit/upload/attr)?

Would be great. Where is the whole password stuff stored anyway?

Best,
Mike