[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Oct 3 10:37:20 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:11:25AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 10/3/06, Thomas Voghera <thomasvoghera at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - limitation to a two-level hierarchy (groups and pages)
> >
> > Is this about how pages can be organized? carved in stone?
>
> But it is *possible* this hierarchy problem will be solved soon.
> There was a very long list discussion on the subject a few months
> back, and the resolution seemed to be there was not a simple way (yet)
> to adequately qualify relative links (and avoid resulting
> ambiguities).

It's possible but not likely.  I've spent a *lot* of time over the
past five years thinking about hierarchical group implementations,
and I don't like anything we've come up with better than the current
Group.Name system.

That said, this past week I heard through a couple of off-list
discussions that DocuWiki now has a good hierarchical grouping
system -- if someone wanted to check it out and report back it
might be worth looking at.

> I'm wondering if in the back of Pm's mind the new syntax for *$:vars
> was a step toward solving this problem.

Nope, I haven't consciously made a connection between vars and
hierarchical groups.  Sorry.