[pmwiki-users] Link Issue

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Oct 4 14:26:29 CDT 2006

> From: Tyson <Tilendor at cableone.net>
>
> Good day everyone.
>   I'm currently running one wiki with no issues at
> http://pmwiki.tiltech.net
>
>   I'm trying to set another up for my clan at
> http://malfeasanceclan.tiltech.net, but I am having trouble.
> The edit links on both the top menu and bottom menu are not editing the
> right page.  Instead of editing say Main.HomePage, they will edit
> Site.PageTopMenu and Site.PageFootMenu respectively.  I've tried a
> couple things, like disabling the URL Rewrite mod and whatnot, and also
> played with the links themselves to no avail.

Sounds like you are using Triad (or another one of the Skins written by
Hans) and one of the new beta versions of PmWiki.

> Is someone able to take a look and give me some advice?  the site
> password is currently amesky

I didn't take a look, because your e-mail seemed to provide enough
informations.

I'm pretty busy write now, so I've taken the liberty of just cutting and
pasting what I posted on Cookbook/Triad-Comments in response to a
similar question.

Pico

- - - -

Question: Completely new to Wikis, set up pmwiki on my PC and on server
at work, wanted to try your skin, looks the nicest on list.
However, when I show my pages, there is no Edit button for the page?
Just edit buttons for the PageFootMenu and PageTopMenu
Looked through your info page but did not see anything about this.
Also clicking the Edit for the Top or Foot does not show the current
button contents?
I will continue reading up, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick and
just doing something silly.
Thanks for your time.

Hi, I think Hans may be pretty busy right now, so I am taking the
liberty of trying to answer your question until he is available.  Are
you using one of the new beta versions of PmWiki (as in 2.2.0 beta#)?
If so, then the problem is the result in of a change in the way that
PmWiki interprets certain types of links and, specifically, edit links
that are located outside of the main body of the page.  See
[[PmWiki/Release Notes]].  Hans will be able to take care of the issue
easily by updating his skin and if you can wait for that then perhaps
you should.  Otherwise, at this point if you want to get Triad working
right away, your options are: (1) to disable the new
"$EnableRelativePageVars" setting in your config.php file, or (2) make
some simple changes to several pages to add an asterisk to certain
"page variables" e.g. change [@{$Name}@] to [@{*$Name}@] to ensure that
the edit (and other links) will be interpreted correctly.  For now, the
first option may be simplest, and most appropriate if you are new to
PmWiki (and, later on, you can download an updated version of Triad
Skin that will save you from the trouble of having to make the changes
yourself).  Also, since this issue may affect other skins, you will
save yourself some trouble by just leaving this off for right now.
(Since this option is turned off by default, presumably you enabled it
in your config.php and you can undo that by deleting your entry, or
commenting it out with a #, or by changing the setting from 1 to 0)

If you want to make the changes yourself, however, here are the files
that you will have to change:
*Site.PageTopMenu
*Site.PageFootMenu
*Site.PageFooter
*Site.PageHeader
*Site.Triad-EditForm

To edit these pages, you may have to manually enter the edit action into
the address bar after the page name, like this:
[@http://www.example.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.PageTopMenu?action=edit@]
>><<

When you edit these files, you will look for instances of [@{$Name}@]
and change them to [@{*Name}@] and do the same for  instances of
[@{$FullName}@] and [@{$Group}@], if any, that appear in those pages.

[[~Pico]] September 28, 2006, at 07:25 PM