[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Oct 4 14:27:28 CDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Oh, the standard blocklist filters should still apply to
> whatever is being posted, same as any other contributed
> content.  I wasn't thinking of wikispammers in particular, I
> was thinking about the case where generic mail spam was being
> sent to the gateway address.
Hrm.  I'm wondering about the IP blocking and how accurate that will
be via email.  *sigh*

>> My approach has the benefit of being pretty darned easy to
>> implement. ;)
>> A centralized wiki push server is beyond the scope I was
>> considering.
>
> Really? I actually think that implementing the wiki push server
> is a lot simpler -- I think a simple version could be put together
> in a day or so.  It's easier because it really doesn't have to
> integrate with pmwiki.php at all -- it just uses the standard
> web interface.
>
> But I see benefits to both, so we should just do both.  :-)

There are definitely benefits to both.  Actually -- an HTTP page-
posting method can be done from the self-served POP3-> pmwiki method
as well... a pop3 script grabs emails from the remote server, then
sends the contents to PmWiki again (LOL) with a new action= as if
it's a whole new posting??  Using curl with POST variables rather
than include().  Sounds like a good opportunity for an unfortunate
loop LOL

So, what I'm saying is that essentially we could be doing at least
part of this in parallel --> the part that processes the email at the
receiving end can be exactly the same for both methods.  That saves a
lot of work, and allows exactly the same style of emails to be sent
via both methods.  In the end it's just a matter of whether people
want to register with a pmwiki.org service, or run it locally.

>>> Something that I have found that works very nicely is to have
>>> things happen
>>> at the *end* of page processing by using PHP's
>>> 'register_shutdown_function'.
>>
>> Then that's where this needs to be. :)  Any documentation? Hints on
>> how to use the hook?
>
>    - http://www.php.net/register_shutdown_function
>    - scripts/notify.php in the PmWiki distribution

Thanks!  Always learn something new -- I should use the php.net site
as bathroom reading material ;)

Crisses