[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 14:59:13 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 06:36:41PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> > So, for example, using (using "(:post:)" and "(:postend:)"
> > as sample delimiters until I come up with something better):
>
> Maybe tear lines.
> Possibly saying what page the text should go to, on the tear line.
> Someting like
>
>    Hi,
>    some new text:
>    -- Group.SomePage
>    blah blah blah...
>    -- Group.OtherPage
>    Blah blah blah...
>    --
>    This isn't added anywhere (no page name on previous tear line).
>    Regards, Contributor
>
> This might be a tad too primitive. E.g. tear line commands for setting
> user name and password might be useful.

I started with a version of a tear line myself this morning, then
I realized that someone might actually want to use "--" in the
markup itself.  So then I switched to the directive form, especially
since authors are likely to be minimally familiar with a directive
anyway.

In the mail-to-wiki gateway I'm currently designing (in my head),
I'm thinking the delimiter will be:

    (:post Group.PageName author=Pm summary="My Post":)
    (:postend:)

where

  - "(:post " has to be at the beginning of a line to count
  - Group.PageName is converted to a valid pagename
  - author= and summary= are optional values for authorname and summary
    (we may add more options soon)
  - adds everything up to the next (:post:) or (:postend:) directive

> Take a look what the typical mail client does, and duplicate that
> behaviour. If PmWiki does that, it will be seen as just a single
> additional mail client, which might be enough to shoot for initially.

I don't use a POP3 mail client, so I really don't know what a
typical mail client uses (and don't necessarily want to be installing
mail clients just to find out).  Anyone else have an idea as to
what most mail clients use as their default poll interval for mail?