[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 16:43:58 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 04:35:36PM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> The '--' is commonly used to separate .sig from the body of an email.
>
> I don't see why the fuss for such separations in the first place. Just
> assume the page content is either a replacement for, or addition to a
> page.

I don't want to make such an assumption.  In particular, I want
to be able to be able to send messages to pmwiki-users that
contain content to be posted to the wiki.

For example, if I'm responding to someone on the pmwiki-users list,
it would be really nice if I could just specify in my email message
"record this next section to page XYZ" and have it automatically be
added to page XYZ without me having to compose/send a separate email
to do it.

Or, if I'm writing a long message in email that I think ought
to be the basis for a page on pmwiki.org, it'd be far nicer
to simply delimit the texts to be posted as I'm composing the
message than to have to go back and create a separate message
to handle it.

Lastly, as has been pointed out before, the delimiters provide
a positive indication of "I really mean this to go to *this*
wiki page", as opposed to someone accidentally sending email
to the wiki address and it being posted somewhere.

I'm not saying the approach you're suggesting isn't workable,
just that it doesn't support some features that I'm
specifically looking for in a mail-to-wiki gateway.