[pmwiki-users] Permissions conundrum, section behaviour

Henrik Bechmann henrik.bechmann at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 5 17:59:37 CDT 2006

Patrick,

If I could press just a little re: delimiters,

My main reasons were:

- Delimiters provide explicit attributed identification so that the
blocks would be available for other applications, including
section-edit, but also for application extensions (cookbook recipes)
that would be able to take advantage of the structured naming, typing,
and parameters. I don't quite see how anchors could provide the same
level of information. Could they? Are you planning to allow attributes
for anchors?

- Delimiters and anchors are orthogonal: delimiters are an application
construct; anchors are an HTML construct. I am concerned that combining
them may be more confusing for users than separating them, and that
combining them inherently imposes limitations on usage of blocks of
sections.

- Delimiters, if named with the standard "section" name ([!section
comment...!] or (:section comment...:)) are explicit and coherent,
whereas it may be hard to differentiate anchors applied to section
blocks from HTML anchors, etc.

- Delimiters form a conceptual coherent delineated balanced pair with
matching directives. Directives such as (:commentaction parm parm parm:)
provide the behaviour instructions; delimiters with attributes such as
-- (:section comment:) text (:sectionend:) -- provide the clear matching
output.

Comments?

- Henrik

--