[pmwiki-users] Rethinking passwords and authorization

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Mon Oct 9 18:01:32 CDT 2006

Ryan R. Varick wrote:
> I've always kind of wondered why the syntax is as the way it is
> anyway.  I certainly think it would be more intuitive if there were a
> set of common prefixes, like
>
>   password:quick
>   user:alice (or id:alice, if that's preferred)
>   group:authors
>
> I don't know if this would make parsing any easier, but I don't think
> the current system is "the best we can do" with regard to legibility.

This has the additional advantage that those prefixes can be broken out
via some sort of config table so that new ones could be created by new
recipes. If someone needs to add a floon authentication method, they
would just do something like:

  $AuthenticationHandler['floon']=floonfunc();

and then might have a line like:

  grp:authors pw:quick floon:17