[pmwiki-users] Spam status and suggestion for PmWiki.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Oct 10 15:00:37 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 07:16:10AM -0700, Pico wrote:
> Lots of spam today and earlier this weekend, most of it points back to
> blogshot.nl with different IPs and different topics (today was
> Halloween, I foget what the earlier topic was, but I recognized the
> domain and the target pages are the same).  So this time I added the
> domain as a word: "blogshot.nl"
>
> 1. Can partial domain names be entered as blcoked words, or will the be
> ignored when they appear as part of a longer string?

Yes, partial domains can be entered.  The block: instruction says
to block any post containing the blocked term, even if the term
is part of a longer word or phrase.  So,  "block: blogshot.nl" will
block any post containing "blogshot.nl" anywhere in the post.

> 2. The password protection on Site/Blocklist has been removed.
> Shouldn't it be password protected?

I just tried editing it (2006-10-10 1958 UTC) and it seems to be
password protected.

> 3. The fact that this spammer keeps comming back to hit the same pages,
> including some that never existed before they were spammed, makes me
> think that it might be interesting to keep some of these pages as
> honeypots that would trigger an automated blocklist.

I've thought some about doing honeypots, but if editing a honeypot
page automatically triggers a blocklist, then how does one restore
a page?

Oh, I suppose we could fix it so that saving to a honeypot page
doesn't actually save the page, but just updates the blocklist.
That could work.

Another possibility might be to trigger it based on unapproved
urls -- i.e., saving to a honeypot page doesn't automatically add
to the blocklist, but saving an unapproved url to the page does.