[pmwiki-users] automatically adding users to groups

elton.p.lester at transport.qld.gov.au elton.p.lester at transport.qld.gov.au
Tue Oct 10 19:47:52 CDT 2006

this could be id:* -- that would be an assumption that ANY logged in
user belongs to "group1"
Excellent - thanks

@nopass is not a group -- Are you looking to have a group that
requires login, or is this an non-logged-in function?

The wiki will be read only to all users except a few feedback pages where
we are looking for comments from all staff (anonymously if they want to),
not just from registered users. e.g. How can we do things better? What
don't you like about your work environment? etc

I think FASTMembership handles user create/manage their own
accounts.  I know that XESAuthUserDBase does this, but that requires
mysql (soon to be database-agnostic).
OK, got FATSMembership up and running. New members no worries but no group
handling.

Ahh, HtpasswdForm has been expanded in the last few days - Cool, group
handling. No new user form? Says there is one if right variable activated
but I can't get it working. - Will use combo of both for the moment.

Thanks

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:10 AM, elton.p.lester at transport.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have the following control structure on my wiki
>
>      site level edit password  - set as a groupName#1

this could be id:* -- that would be an assumption that ANY logged in
user belongs to "group1"

>           group level passwords for some groups - set as groupName#2
>                page level passwords OR '@nopass' for some pages -
> set as
> groupName#3 or '@nopass'

@nopass is not a group -- Are you looking to have a group that
requires login, or is this an non-logged-in function?

> I have AuthUser running from the Site.AuthUser page at the moment
> but want
> to move to a slightly more user friendly (and safer) interface as the
> number of people using the wiki is increasing and the audience is
> starting
> to include those who are 'not so confident around computers'.

> What can I use to do the following:
>
>    allow user to create (and preferable manage) their own account
>    automatically add users to groupName#1 so they can instantly start
>    creating/updating content

If you do "id:*" then any logged-in user would be counted.

I think FASTMembership handles user create/manage their own
accounts.  I know that XESAuthUserDBase does this, but that requires
mysql (soon to be database-agnostic).

>    enable admin to manage groups and users without having to fiddle
> with
>    .htpasswd or config files or the Site.AuthUser page directly?

Too many ways to do this.  I think FASTMembership may be ready for
this.  Ask Caveman or look at the Cookbook for the recipe.

My XESAuthUserDBase does not YET do this, but it will soon.  Just not
this week ;)  By the time it does, it will probably be merged back
into AuthUserDBase, as well.

Crisses

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.