[pmwiki-users] New Wiki Page Forms

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu Oct 12 20:14:30 CDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Scott <scott at skhanselman.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked at the recipes that use forms to create pages and I thought the the
> FastDATA or the new ZAP Forms would do it, but I'm not sure I fully understand
> the concept behind the saving data and retrieving the data.
>
> My needs seem fairly simple -- I'd like to have a form with several fields that
> a user enters data into. That data then is submitted to create a new wiki page
> (I guess like PITS).
>
> The other form recipes just create a blank page.
>
> So I'd like something like the following:
>
> <input 1> - as the new page name
> <input 2>
> <input 3>
> <input 4>
>
> So the new page is created as <input 1> then <input 2,3,4> is the actual page's
> content.
>
> Is this possible? Am I missing something with the existing recipes? Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, for caveman and the new ZAP Forms. Do I understand it correctly -- The
> data that is saved and retrieved are not actual wiki pages.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott--

ZAP will do this more easily than FAST Data because it allows for
fully templated page creation.  Go to
http://www.fast.st/zap/pmwiki.php?n=Snippets.PageTmpl to see an
example or just go to WWW.ZAPSITE.ORG and click pagetempl under the
code snippets.

If you have questions adjusting it to meet your needs let me know and
I'll be happy to help.  Two things though, you probably won't need to
destroy an existing page first, and second you will probably want the
create field to be text, not hidden so you can enter the desired page
name. You can even have some fields pre-filled with default values, or
set a basegroup field so you only have to enter the page name (not
group).

As for data being saved and retrieved, they are saved to and from
regular wiki pages, though at ZAP-Group.Name, relative to the current
page.  Of course it's flexible enough to allow you to save stuff
anywhere--even on the same page.  And you can retrieve it from
anywhere.  But if you use the default settings it is almost
transparent.

Of course, you don't need to use any data retrieval or logging, etc.,
to create templated pages.  Just follow the example in the template,
and ZAP will make it easy.

Cheers,
Caveman