[pmwiki-users] smarter PageStore::ls() parameters?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 13:31:19 CDT 2006

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> and I'm interpreting "array of patterns" to
> essentially mean "array of regex".  Do many
> databases allow filtering of records based on
> regexes?

This really is sad isn't it.  Afterall, one of the
primary reasons for using a db is to have quick
searches and yet the sql standard is SOOO lame when it
comes to lookup syntaxes!

But, since you asked the question and I thought I
recalled pg being able to handle it, I did a quick
search and found the following:

PostgreSQL: ~
http://www.kme.eku.edu/tools/FAQ-Postgres.html

MySQL:REGEXP and RLIKE
http://www.wellho.net/regex/mysql.html

Oracle 10 G: SQL REGEXP_LIKE
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/webcolumns/2003/techarticles/rischert_regexp_pt1.html

MS SQL Server (reaa;y ugly)
http://www.miningtools.net/regexp/examples.aspx

Addons:
-------
DB2:  This explains how to use perlREs with a function
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/0301stolze/0301stolze.html

Informix: Add in the Toronto(?) regexp lib.
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/zones/informix/library/techarticle/db_regexp.html

Sqlite: Allows users to register regexp() function and
then can use teh REGEXP operator in SQL
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-May/342719.html
http://search.cpan.org/~dwheeler/Object-Relation-v0.1.0/lib/Object/Relation/Handle/DB/SQLite/DBI.pm#regexp

Since that covers the big 3 free ones (Mysql, PG, and
sqlite), it might not be that inconceivable to think
that this would actually be usable on dbs, would it?
... With the free DBs, you might even be close to
getting a standard perlRE to work consitently across
all 3!

-Martin