[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Oct 24 20:32:07 CDT 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 3:10 PM, marc wrote:

>> I wonder if it would make sense to create some open repository
>> (maybe on
>> sourceforge, if possible?) using Subversion. Then updating is a
>> matter
>> of "svn update". How is the common opinion about something like
>> that? Of
>> course one could still download them directly (with a direct http
>> link
>> to the latest version in the repository) for those who don't like
>> using
>> svn.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Excellent idea, Stefan. It would help with testing too, by allowing us
> to create branches.
>
> Now, if only TortoiseSVN was available on Linux ;-)

While the right applet tool might make SVN as smart as a good sharp
knife, and I've installed and attempted to use SVN (frankly, never
really for programming -- it's a long story), I never find it easy
nor intuitive to use. I always end up forgetting to add things
manually (whether on the command line or in a contextual menu), and
I'm not on Windows.  I've used OS X tools (2+ years ago) where I
could right-click to take care of the SVN commands, but it's not
second-nature to me the way it is to some programmers. I branch by
copying files.  Primative, but it works.  SVN really IS the bright
way to do it, but for people who aren't CVS-born&bred, SVN is still
BETTER but maybe not as downright "intuitive" as some people might
want to think.  SVN was created to be an easy leap-of-faith for
people used to CVS.  It was not made for the non-programmers or the
copy-to-branch crowd.  The applets attempt to solve the problem, but
it's a problem to begin with that needs solving.

I find the entire mental layout & execution of SVN annoying, while I
find the idea and philosophy brilliant.  For me, it's like trying to
wear my boots backwards: I'm not entirely adverse, but I'm going to
be resistive and it's going to be painful.

If I can SVN with a pure drag n drop interface, I would definitely
consider it.  If you want me to try managing the actual SVN
repository "tags" "branches" and "trunk" I'm going to turn into a
kicking & screaming 5 year old.  No, really!

It's a great idea.  I hate it. ;)

Crisses