[pmwiki-users] Problems with the embedded CSS in pmwiki.php

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri Oct 27 10:17:49 CDT 2006

Something that's been bothering me for a while, but might be the result
of misunderstanding something is the CSS and style ordering.

Currently, in a skin template,

  <!--HTMLHeader-->

must come after the skin's

  <link rel='stylesheet' ... skin.css

because HTMLHeader adds local.css - and other CSSs that might be listed
in $PageCSSListFmt.

The problem with this order is that the pmwiki.php embedded

  $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki'] = "

then overrides some elements in the skin template. The problems this
introduces then have to be fixed in pub/local.css, or, when you have
multiple fields using different skins, by a field-specific template via
something like

$PageCSSListFmt['$FarmD/marc/css/local.css'] = 'http://niff/
~marc/pmwiki/marc/css/local.css';

in the field's local/config.php

Now, this seems a bit like hard work to me. So, what have I missed?

Another way around this is to set:

  $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki'] = "";

from the outset, and perhaps this is the best way, but it's tantamount
to editing the core, and means that some skin won't display as the
author intended - the default, perhaps.

Nevertheless, what I'd like to see is the removal of the embedded CSS in
pmwiki.php. Knowing Patrick, I'm sure it's there for a reason, but it
sure don't seem purty.

--
Best,
Marc