[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri Oct 27 15:22:02 CDT 2006

On 10/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > ZAP can do it  : )

This was said kind of tongue in cheek!

> > The plus side to having maillist posts go into a searchable forum, esp
> > for the user listserv, is that many of the same questions are asked
> > several times.  I think many users would just as soon search and find
> > an answer right away as subscribe to the mail list, post a question
> > and then sit around and wait for a response.

I should have added that this is in spite of the fact the maillist is
extremely wonderful helpful and responsive.  : )

> This is the purpose of the PmWiki.FAQ .  And I'm still looking for
> ways to improve the search page on pmwiki.org to automatically
> search the gmane archives.

Still having a forum of some sort on PmWiki would be very useful.  Esp
if it was connected seamlessly to a maillist.  Being able to search
gmain might be nice, but an editable forum (maybe with pages that
could be ranked if they were helpful...) that could grow and yet be
finessed here and there where needed.  Actually you kind of inspired
me with the idea Pm, when you were talking about an email to wiki
system.  I have never found the FAQ page particularly helpful--and
only a fraction of the stuff on the maillist get's posted there.

> > Both Crisses and Pm had ideas for converting incoming emails to wiki
> > pages.  Could we do it?
>
> FWIW, this will definitely be happening within the next month or
> so, as I just acquired a new client that needs this capability.
> At this point it's just a matter of defining the appropriate
> mail markups.

Wonderful.  I hope it will be something other admin's could set up
reasonably well for their sites.  This is very exciting!  Now if we
can just find a good maillist software system that can directly
integrate within PmWiki, we'll really be in busy.  Anyone familiar
with the php based "Simple Mailing List" software? Or any
recommendations of something like it?

Cheers,
Caveman