[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sat Oct 28 09:26:28 CDT 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 6:27 AM, Hans wrote:

> All recipes have unique filenames, and we do respect each other in
> that we are not overwriting each other's files when uploading.

Some recipes instruct you to change the filename.  Sometimes I remove
the version number from a filename, because to keep multiple versions
on the site people append the version number to the filename.  And to
update a recipe for a farm with many wikis, I don't necessarily want
to change every config.php file for the wikis actively using the
recipe -- instead I just change the filename to match the old
filename -- blocklist2.83833.php would become bloclist2.php

So I disagree about recipe filenames being their unique namespace, or
relying on admins keeping the filenames intact after downloading.
The version control system should not rely on filenames for versioning.

Crisses