[pmwiki-users] Problems with the embedded CSS in pmwiki.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 30 13:08:41 CST 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:52:14PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I understand. But a pmwiki upgrade will just add the new
> > pmwiki-core.css file, load it, and not use any more HTMLStylesFmt
> > definitions to add the core styles from pmwiki.php and some scripts.
> > It does not need a universal change in all skins.
>
> If you're saying to eliminate the current $HTMLStylesFmt settings
> that set the core styles, then this will break any existing skins
> that depend on a statement like
>
>     $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki'] = '';
>
> to eliminate the core styles.

Oops, I just re-read this and it's probably unclear.  Let me
explain further...

Suppose Alice has an existing skin that doesn't want any of the PmWiki
core styles.  In order to get rid of those, Alice has put the following
in her skin.php file:

    global $HTMLStylesFmt;
    $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki'] = '';

If we now change PmWiki's default setting so that it uses
$HTMLHeaderFmt to set its core styles instead of $HTMLStylesFmt,
as in:

    $HTMLHeaderFmt['pmwiki-core'] = "<link ... />";

Then when Alice upgrades her version of PmWiki, her skin
will no longer display properly because the PmWiki core styles
are being inserted back into her skin.  The $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki']
setting she had been previously using to suppress this
behavior no longer has the desired effect.