[pmwiki-users] Using .htpasswd?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 30 15:14:07 CST 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 10:57:16AM -0700, Jason Ma wrote:
> I set up a PmWiki a while ago, and would like to password-protect
> editing of all pages with a single password (so only a small number of
> people with it can edit it, but everyone can view it).  Originally,
> I'd done it through the config.php file, but I'd like to move it to a
> .htpasswd file, preferably not in the webserver folder.

If you're protecting editing of pages with a single password,
you shouldn't need .htpasswd or authuser.php at all.
Simply set the following in local/config.php:

    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('yourpassword');

If you don't want the password to appear in the local/config.php
file itself, then set the encrypted form of the password
(obtainable by using ?action=crypt to the wiki):

    $DefaultPasswords['type']='$1$yhqsxnlg$s01hbFNuhXprYAp/XlqN2.';

This is described in the "Setting site-wide passwords" section of
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin .

If you're still wanting to use .htpasswd for some reason,
let us know and I'll get some details about that to you.