[pmwiki-users] Adding .html . . .

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:08:59 CDT 2006

I recently "lost" a client. I have to put it in quotes, because my web
support was a short-term solution.[1] The replacement web support
group provided a list of "deficiencies," which only they could repair.
On "deficiency" was based in part on the web host server configuration
preventing me from properly implementing Clean Urls. The new group
said that Google could not handle dynamic content and only played well
with URLs ending in .html. As you read this, I'm sure many of you
chuckle becuase that's patently absurd. Heck, Google even plays well
with unClean URLs.

However, it got me to thinking that I would like to have the .html
dangling from the end of my pages. If nothing else, just to show that
it can be done easily in PmWiki should one desire it.

In researching this, I noticed ResolvePageName() in pmwiki.php will
remove trailing '.html', which allows pmwiki to simulate static .html
pages.[2] I then noticed that two variables allow the PmWiki site to
refer to its own pages with the trailing '.html'. What follows this
paragraph is the reconfigured variables that allows the page.

$LinkPageSelfFmt = "<a class='selflink' href='\$LinkUrl.html'>\$LinkText</a>";
$LinkPageExistsFmt = "<a class='wikilink' href='\$LinkUrl.html'>\$LinkText</a>";

I'm sure there's a Cookbook page on this, but I'm too lazy to look.
So, I thought I'd just email this out instead in case anybody else is
interested.

Ben

[1]: After all, I'm a law student, what business do I have of
providing IT support?
[2]: E.g. http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook.html