[pmwiki-users] MimeTex

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 01:16:56 CDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:

> Now that MimeTeX is working, you probably don't need to know about
> latexrender, which does the same thing, but calls LaTeX to render the
> equations, then saves them as .gif files. For an example, see
>
> http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/index.php?n=Wikipublisher.LatexEquations
>
> I tested both and my experience was that:
>
> - the latexrender equations looked better
>
> - some equations which MimeTeX rendered wouldn't render in LaTeX

Given the recent security concerns, maybe I should mention that MimeTeX
isn't exactly safe. I am *guessing* that latexrender is even less safe...
(If it isn't, I want to switch :-)

/Christian

PS. One reason these recipes are unsafe is that LaTeX can be used to
arbitrarily access files on your server, thus revealing sensitive
information.