[pmwiki-users] MimeTex

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 6 07:45:00 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:16:56AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:
> > Now that MimeTeX is working, you probably don't need to know about
> > latexrender, which does the same thing, but calls LaTeX to render the
> > equations, then saves them as .gif files. [...]
> > I tested both and my experience was that:
> > - the latexrender equations looked better
> > - some equations which MimeTeX rendered wouldn't render in LaTeX
>
> Given the recent security concerns, maybe I should mention that MimeTeX
> isn't exactly safe.

MimeTeX should be fairly safe -- it's designed for the web, and the
"dangerous" LaTeX commands (such as \input{ }) are sandboxed and/or
filtered in MimeTeX.

At the very least, doing a quick Google search for "mimetex security"
didn't pull up any recent security advisories for MimeTeX.

> I am *guessing* that latexrender is even less safe...
> (If it isn't, I want to switch :-)

That would be my guess, too.  :-)