[pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 7 19:39:37 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:31:47AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> [1] this was why I thought it needed an anchor for each reference,
>     but if it uses bibtex markup, rather than wiki markup, an anchor
>     is not needed -- I think it's an open question whether to use
>     bibtex or wiki markup for the wiki page:
>     ++ no need to convert existing bibtex files
>     ++ can reuse the bib file in other applications, like Lyx
>     -- excludes those who don't use bibtex (all the EndNote users)

It would be really nice if it used both.

>     IMO it's unfortunate that PmWiki uses HTML-centric wording
>     when the software is (almost) markup-agnistic and can be used
>     to generate many different flavours of xml from the same wiki
>     markup. My vote would have been for <!--XMLHeader--> and
>     <!--XMLFooter-->.  [...]

Point well made and taken.  On the other hand, the letters "XML"
will sometimes strike fear and confusion into novice webmasters,
whereas they feel much more comfortable and familiar when they
see "HTML".  So, from a learning curve perspective, seeing HTML
lends an air of familiarity.

However, I'll be happy to add <!--XMLHeader--> and <!--XMLFooter-->
as aliases for the HTML coverup if it makes you feel better.  :-) :-)