[pmwiki-users] stand-alone PMwiki on PC, and Upload?

jeb eddy jeb at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 21:30:44 CDT 2006

Hi,

Q)  Is Upload supposed to work on a local stand-alone XP system?

I'm totally new with PMWiki.   Very cool system.  I've been reading
the docs for several days, and many things are starting to fall into
place.

But Upload is not one of them.

I have looked at Archived email for the past two months.  Everything
seems to be focused on external internet server-based systems.  In
other words, I can find no specific examples of how to do Uploads
entirely on my self-contained PC.

If there are some instructions somewhere, I'd love a URL.

I launch pmwikiserv.bat just fine, and connect to it with IE via
http://localhost/pmwiki.  I'm having fun creating beginner pages
under the Sandbox.

If it is supposed to work entirely locally, there are still several
(hopefully simple setup) things I do not understand.

I have created a local/config.php file, and inside it I have edited
(un-commented) two lines:

$EnableUpload = 1;        #and:
$DefaultPasswords['upload'] = crypt('upokok');

I have a couple of test jpg photos in the "MyPhotographs" folder on
my hard drive that I would like to up-load, but...

Now I come to a total halt.

I understand the  "attach:filename.ext" syntax.

I put it in to a test Sandbox page, and out it comes, in identical text.

The (:attachList:) is of course empty.

I was hoping that   attach:   would bring up a browser window that
would let me browse and select my  Cosmos01.jpg  (an amazing
theoretical graphic of two black holes colliding).

I can read the doc page about UploadAdmin, but I can't translate the
examples into my stand-alone system.

I have not set  $UploadDir  or $UploadUrlFmt, expecting them to
default to usable values.

In the context of a stand-alone PC, I particularly do not understand this line:

"Once the upload feature is enabled, users can access the upload form
by adding "?action=upload" to the end of a normal PmWiki URL."

Can someone offer specific steps?

When I get running, I will happily contribute to the docs.

Thanks,

jjeb