[pmwiki-users] FAST Data possibilities

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Sep 20 12:44:43 CDT 2006

I just had a couple people suggest some new features to FAST Data that
really got me thinking about its possibilities.  These include:

BanList (points to a datapage with members who cannot post certain forms)
ApproveList (points to a datapage with a list of those who can post
certain forms)
EmailList (points to a list of emails form info is to be be forwarded to)

(I'll probably also add a "CC: to self" feature)

FAST Data can easily create these lists using its logging feature,
potentially making PmWiki a complete mini-system for managing small
mailing lists.  Could even make it so members could automatically
subscribe/unsubscribe themselves.

My question is--

1)  how robust is PHP for doing something like mailing out emails to a
list of 100 or 200 emails?  Or more?
2)  Will it bog down the system or anything for other users while that
script is processing (or can others still do their work
simultaneously)?

I guess I'm basically wondering if this is a realistic possibility, or
if it's unrealistic.  The coding part appears to me fairly simple..

And one other general question that follows along would be, is there
any way to have PmWiki periodically retrieve emails and process them?
What would that involve?  It would be nice for example to allow
members to submit PmWiki pages by email.  (I'm thinking forum posts
here)  Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Caveman