[pmwiki-users] MD5 checksums or version control (was: Re: Avoiding simultaneous edits)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Sep 20 13:46:29 CDT 2006

At 2006-09-20  12:56 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>I just haven't figured out the substitution markup that makes
>sense for this.  I can envision doing one of:
>
>     Attach:foo.txt"%md5 %size"
>     Attach:foo.txt"$md5 $size"
>     Attach:foo.txt"{md5} {size}"

For my money, Attach:foo.txt"{md5} {size}" makes the most sense and
is the most readable.  For naive authors, %size may be confusing
whereas {size} seems pretty clear. A complete set of file
attributes[1] would be:

         Attach:foo.txt"{md5} {size} {date}"

I seem to remember that curly braces were difficult to type on German
keyboards, which may make this a less popular choice in some circles.

Not sure how the MD5 would be created (upon saving the page?,
uploaded by the user?) because some of the files I have online are 20
megs, and calculating an MD5 on-the-fly would seem to be a colossal
waste of cycles.

[1] The complete set that makes sense for a wiki where the file is read only.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/