[pmwiki-users] Suggestion and recipe for categories as tags

Stefan Schimanski sts at 1stein.org
Thu Sep 21 15:05:05 CDT 2006

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:26:21PM +0200, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
>> It would be nice if PmWiki would support something like a "linked"
>> option in the pagelist syntax:
>>
>>   (:pagelist linked=Main.*:)
>
> In other words, this should generate a list of all targets of
> all pages in the Main group?  Hmm, I'm not sure how this helps.

Make it (:pagelist linked=Main.* group=Category:) and you get the
categories used in pages of the Main group. Make it (:pagelist
linked=Main.* name=Bla*:) to show categories starting with "Bla". More
or less it's the reverse version of (:pagelist link=Bla*
name=Main.*:). The latter will give you the pages linking to Bla*, the
former one give the pages linked to by Main*.

>> I have implemented a very simple recipe that is doing just this, by
>> using the .pageindex file:
>>
>>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ListCategories
>>
>> maybe it's useful for somebody.
>
> Out of curiosity, what happens if the .pageindex file is empty
> or incomplete?  (PmWiki doesn't make any guarantees that the
> .pageindex file is complete -- it provides "useful optimizations"
> but not necessarily a complete map.)

That's a good question of course. Don't know the current policy of
PmWiki to update this index. It was always complete (enough) whenever I
checked.

Schimmi