[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 08:25:59 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 05:42:47AM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> >5.  There will be a "comment box" capability added into the core.
> >Because of existing comment box recipes, the markup for
> >comment boxes in the core will probably be something other than
> >"(:commentbox:)".  I haven't decided exactly what to call it yet.
>
> How about "remark"s?  (:remarkbox:) ?
> or (:pmcommentbox:)

Actually, after sleeping on it an evening, I may go ahead and
use (:commentbox:), if it's going to be an optional recipe
(along with blogging).

> >8.  The [[target | text | title]] markup (and its variants) discussed
> >on pmwiki-users may get added into the core.
>
> I missed this one -- so I'm confused....  target, link text -- what's
> title?

Several have requested in the past a way to get title= attributes onto
links and images, and this is the markup that was settled upon.  In
short,   [[target | text | xyz]] produces

> >9.  It will be possible for administrators and recipes to define
> >"virtual" pages; i.e., pages that always appear to exist even
> >if they haven't been created yet.  This will avoid problems of
> >links to non-existent category pages, etc.
>
> Hrm.  Why not create the pages?

I'm thinking of this primarily for categories and profile pages,
where links are often generated to them without actually creating
the target page.

In particular, there's currently a kludge in the stdmarkup.php
file that prevents pages in the Category group from producing
404 Not Found errors when they don't exist.  I'd rather have
a more general form of handling this.

Creating the pages automatically is still also an option, even
if the virtual page capability is added.

> >12. We may add some ability to specify which form elements
> >should receive the input focus when a form appears in a page.
>
> Why would it be "elements"?  Wouldn't only one page element have
> focus?  Just like you do "selected" can't you have a way of choosing
> "focus"?

It's "elements" because there may be many candidate fields to
receive the focus that might exist or not exist when rendering
the output.  For example, Site.AuthForm is used to retrieve
either a username+password (for authuser.php) or just a password.
If the username input box is present, we want the focus to go there,
otherwise we want the focus to go on the password input box.
So, I'm thinking we may need a way to specify "focus priority"
among multiple input elements, with the highest element that is
actually displayed receiving the focus.