[pmwiki-users] 2.2 Series & Blog/comments

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:20:16 CDT 2006

On 9/22/06, Chris Cox <ccox at airmail.net> wrote:

> Actually a blog is merely a page with an authors thoughts (comments
> are optional).
>
> A web log merely is a way of looking at an author's journaling.
>
> Things like comments, multiple authors, publishing, RSS, etc... all
> are tack ons.
>
> Today, the word blog tends to mean: whatever features are found in
> my favorite (usually free) blogging site.
>
> To me, a threaded posting/viewing engine is more interesting since
> it could be used for blogging, forums, newgroup/email-like things.
>
> Just muddying the waters some more...

Well, that's essentially my point. Blogs are subjective---although I'm
sure there are, er, "core" features that all blogs share.

However, which features of a blog aren't available in one fashion or
another in core PmWiki? IMO, all that is needed is a comprehensive
collaborative approach (with Pm having final nod) on a unified blog
recipe (UBR) which ties in all the PmWiki core features. When we find
a blog feature not fully supported, we look to see if the core can be
beefed up.

One example where I could see a need to beef up (remember, my
ignorance is in play) is with calendaring. I offer than authors use
20060922 for a blog page to simplify listing pages in a calendar. I
know I have a recipe that relies on pagename for the calendar.
However, it is just as possible to have a ctime (or mtime for those
who are really adventurous) be the discriminator. If PmWiki allows
easy page ordering by ctime, then we don't need datetime-based page
naming. Then, we can revert to human friendly formats.

We can "tack on" all we want via recipe. However, RSS, listing,
comments, etc. are all available without adding significantly to the
core. This is why I propose a unified recipe with only essential
beef-ups in the core.

FWIW, I also support recipe authors working together when each recipe
shares a common feature. For example, mailing. I'm trying to put
together a solid, modern mailer that can be included by recipes to
send mail. This is because currently there are at least three recipes
that mail, and do so differently. This is where we should refactor and
apply the DRY principle as a community. However, my focus on this is
lost until after New Year's.

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT