[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 14:55:07 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:16:58PM -0400, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> I see, so the problem has to do with unqualified values.
>
> So for argument's sake if unqualified new text vars {!...} default to
> local scope, and {$...} and [[...]] default to global scope (ie same as
> now), and ".." means global and "." means local (consistent with
> relative directory notation) then one could write
>
> {$.PageVar} local scope; {$PageVar} or {$..PageVar} global scope
> [[.PageName]] local scope; [[..PageName]] or [[PageName]] global scope
> [...]

The problem with this is that most authors really will expect
{$PageVar} (the one used most often) to default to local scope,
and to get the global scope one should have to write something
different.

More to the point, when an author writes a [[link]], 99% of the
time they're thinking of it in a local scope (after all, it's
relative to the current group).  Then authors are very surprised
when they include the page from another group and [[link]]
turns out to be globally scoped, because it's totally
unexpected.  The same is true for page variables in the
page -- it's very surprising that the natural markup is
globally scoped.

Worse, everyone (including me) cringes a little when we
think that we have to go back and specifically qualify all
of those otherwise-natural-looking links just for the
sake of an (:include:).