[pmwiki-users] Fwd: RFC PmWiki Tips and Tricks

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Sep 26 10:55:57 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:21:23AM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> > A rational for this bifurcation could be that scripted modules are
> > placed in the /cookbook directory. So, keeping those in the Cookbook
> > group is somewhat intuitive. Putting the configuration tips and tricks
> > in a separate group indicates there is no need to download any script.
>
> I'm still somewhat confused by this -- is "requires a script"
> versus "doesn't require a script" a major consideration for people
> who are trying to figure out how to get PmWiki to do something?
> How many people come to the Cookbook and say "I want to do XYZ with
> PmWiki, but I want the answer with (or without) an extra script?"

That distinction was what I was looking for when I first started using PmWiki.
(In fact, I started going through the Cookbook group and listing recipes into
one camp or the other).

The main reason for this making distinction, at least in my experience, was that
when I first started using PmWiki, it was at work, where I had no administrative
or server rights so that whenever I wanted to figure out how to do something, I
did not want to go searching for solutions that required rights that I did not
possess.  Of course, I could request that a particular recipe be installed, but
if there was a way to be pretty much the same thing without script files, that
would always be my preferencce.

By contrast, when I'm working on my own server, I want to see recipes that
require scripts to get an idea of where the line is between what the core does,
and does not, do best on its own, and I want to try out the extensions to see
how they change my PmWiki experience.

Pico