[pmwiki-users] Get rid of "Main"? (CleanUrls)

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Tue Sep 26 11:13:09 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 04:09:22PM +0200, Mike wrote:
>>    I hope this question has not been discussed in this list recently: Some
>>    months ago, I was looking for a way to further improve the CleanUrls
>>    recipe by getting rid of the main group - all the items in the "Main"
>>    group should be available, linked, and displayed as if they were in the
>>    root directory. So I'd like to have "www.server.com/Information" instead
>>    of "www.server.com/Main/Information".
>>
>>    As far as I remember, this request could not be fulfilled. Is it possibly
>>    supported by now?
>
> I think it can be done, it just requires some tricky-ish configuration
> of PmWiki (and possibly the webserver).
>
> But first, one question:  If someone does http://www.server.com/XYZ,
> and both XYZ.XYZ (a group) and Main.XYZ exist, which page should
> come up?

I could use this facility as well. In my case, the answer would
definitely be Main.XYZ. The only times anyone would be looking at other
groups was when the webmaster would be doing maintenance, and they can
make sure to use full URLs if need be.

Everyone else would be restricted to the Main group, and need to be able
to create the page Main.Site without needing to know that there is a
Site.Site page that it might conflict with.