[pmwiki-users] RFC: Ratings Redux

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 27 10:00:42 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:35:23AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> Just a few general thoughts on the rating system.
>
> 1) I like the five point scale.  As Ben mentioned the problem is how
> many axis and which ones?  It might be easy to set up several and have
> them all listed at the top of the recipe in a little table.

Please...

 - not in a table, as that makes them harder to edit and maintain
 - not more than two or three axes, as then it becomes too much trouble
   to rate things

> I would suggest one axis be "support", which might allow us to identify
> recipes that are no longer being supported.  If you ask a question of
> a recipe author, there's no or a slow answer, you give a lower rating.

I don't think we need a "rating" for this -- a simple [[!Unsupported]]
category tag will do.  If someone asks a question and gets no answer
or a slow one, then just add the [[!Unsupported]] tag to the page
(ideally right next to the question that is needing an answer :-).
Then we can easily identify which recipes are "unsupported".

> The other option of course is to set up some kind of counter to log
> actual downloads.

That's a bit of a pain, because web spiders seem to like to download
the recipes also.   So, we'd have to have the counter filter based
on web spiders, and we're bound to miss some, so....