[pmwiki-users] First Author Capability (was: pagelist sort by date not time)

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Sep 27 10:14:09 CDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> What happens if the first author hasn't entered an author name?
> Do we leave it blank?  Or do we really record "the first author
> that supplied a name"?

I'd don't know how the code in PmWiki itself works, but I'd suggest if
a name is not available when the page is created we don't add that
line.  And it would not be added later when the first authenticated
user edits the page. Only on page creation (surely there's a way to
distinguish between a page creation and a page edit).  To
delete/add/change the line would require a recipe (which should be
easy to construct) as that goes beyond the original purpose of the
line.

> And do we really want "first author" or "first authenticated username"?
> (Author names and usernames can be separate in PmWiki.)

I don't have a preference.  I'd suggest whatever you do with author.
I user Author = AuthId in my config so it doesn't matter.

> > And if so, the created date should also become core with it.
>
> The creation date for a page is already in the core (as the 'ctime'
> attribute).

I meant to have a {$pagecreationdate} variable built into core like
there is one for {$lastmodifiedby} variable.  And also a
{$firstauthor} variable to while we're at it.  If we add the new line
to the page format, we should make all four variables available to be
consistent and round out the features. These will I think be quite
useful to many.

Cheers,
Caveman