[pmwiki-users] Decision to make more use of PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 28 21:28:50 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:44:29PM -0400, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:
>    I've decided to try to use PmWiki more extensively in my evolving project
>    website.

I highly commend you on your decision.  :-) :-)

>    From what I understand of the PmWiki system, wikigroups will be more
>    appropriate for our needs than wikifarms (crosssearching being a major
>    issue). However there are 2 quick questions. First, if I understand
>    correctly there is no problem going over 50 wikigroups?

No problem whatsoever.  On the TAMUCC "student wiki", every student
enrolled in the First Year Program is given a separate wiki group and
expected to enter pages in the group.  Currently that one wiki
site has over 6000 separate wikigroups.  (No, that's not a typo.)

>    Second, I understand one can use different skins on different groups, but
>    how about different languages? Mainly concerned about French and
>    Portuguese, but others, including RTL scripts (Arabic, and very possibly
>    the world's first N'ko wiki [it's in Unicode 5.0]), are possible.

Sure, each group can have a separate language.  See, for example,
the way that pmwiki.org has configured different languages for
different groups:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiFr
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiJa

I don't really know how well things will work with
RTL scripts, but it'd be very interesting to find out (and I'll
be glad to add core support where needed if I can).