[pmwiki-users] ZAP good news...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Apr 10 20:31:51 CDT 2007

A few quick bits of good news...

1) I worked out ZAP's encoding/decoding mechanism (got lucky when it
virtually worked the first time!) and will probably be switching over
to it for ZAP as the default option for login/registration, etc.  It
will make it much easier to handle passwords and emails etc, though I
will maintain options for users who wish to continue with encryption
and separate login groups if you need the tougher security.

2) I had forgotten I already had written the code for ZAP's config
page, and even documented it!  Good news, but yikes--what's happening
to my memory...  So will probably be moving all the modules into one
ZAPextend module very soon, and restructuring things a bit to take
better advantage of it.

3) Funny thing that Hans just released Forum X (where posts are all
stored on separate pages like ZAP) and I just got my code working for
in-page comment insertions (like Fox).  =|:)   I will be releasing the
new code with several fixes probably tomorrow.  Have to admit Hans
approach does make things MUCH simpler!

4) In eagerness for a more extensible {( )} recipe function, I will be
releasing my own code for that sometime tomorrow too, as it will be a
part of the new extension system in ZAP.  I need that for the new
installation/configuration system I have in mind for ZAP.

5) I'm still exploring options for including/not including various
sections of ZAP extend.  Not sure I'm keen on any just yet, but
probably do need to do something.  Assuming none of the code is
actually used, just how much time will it save for PmWiki to not have
to read a long files just defining functions and markups, etc?  If
nothing is used, would it really slow things down?

(The problem is that to only enable parts, I have to break ZAP extend
into multiple small files and zip them up--what I want to avoid.  If I
can just have one file and lock/unlock certain parts it makes things a
lot easier.  I'm aiming at the naive user, like me.)

6) Though I like the idea of multiple wikilib.d pages for common
snippets, it still seems easier to have one common template page that
can be simply cut and pasted into your wiki.  So I'll probably go
ahead and give it a try.  Does anyone have any feedback on this
recommended list of core ZAP forms:

register, login, edit profiles, instant messages, email form,
subscribe, newsletter, forum, comments, shopping cart, order form,
paypal

Any recommended markups for the ZAP super markup?  I still like
ZAP:login, though it's quite generic...

Cheers,
Dan