[pmwiki-users] Adding something like '?action=version'? (Was:Version of Pmwiki)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 08:12:04 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:18:57AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, SMETS Stephane     BKS-IT wrote:
> >On one of my wiki, I put it in the template, in the footer of the page.
> >So it is there all the time And if diag is enable, the info is also
> >there, so is it really a need for an action in thecore of Pmwiki?
>
> When interfacing the wiki to some other application, it's not a good idea
> to have this information in arbitrary places.
>
> I know there's an alternative to using 'action=' here, but I can't
> remember what it's called. It's a more formal mechanism for getting data
> and it was discussed in connection with getting the last modified time of
> page.... aargh.

The easiest place for programs to be able to get the information
is generally either as an HTTP header

or as an HTML meta tag

As far as getting the last modified time of a page, I think
it's probably easiest for programs to receive metadata at
the beginning of the source text:

    #version: pmwiki-2.2.0-beta42
    #basetime: 1176383583

    Source text here...

We still need to hammer out the details for this.