[pmwiki-users] OT: Graphics and Embedded Fonts

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Fri Apr 13 06:00:39 CDT 2007

> Is there a reliable and easy way to do a scalable graphic
> that keeps smooth curves regardless of size?

Yes, yes, just try something vectorial like
http://inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en
Once you are happy with your work, simply export the image in a
browser friendly format (png, gif, jpg...); about the size, please
read on...

> Is there a way to embed a font in a webpage

First: please do not even think of writing the real contents of your
pages with exotic fonts.
Adopt strange fonts just for logos and (if it is really the case) some
titles. The more you adopt plain text, the better it is (usually).

You create logos and particular titles/subtitles (which make use of
exotic fonts) as images. You might want to have them ready/exported
(see the point above) in a couple of sizes, so that they adapt to the
different pages/needs of your site.

The people here http://www.apple.com/ have a discrete ;-) experience
about the matter, and  extensively browsing their site might be a good
and quick lesson.

About logos and titles/subtitles written using odd fonts, I've seen
that it is **fun** to play with the css ability to resize images on
the fly according to the window size; this might help in case of big
logos/images which spread on (say) one third or half of your screen;
as you resize the browser window, they would eat all the available
space, and this might be annoying. So, forcing them to resize on the
fly might (please read **might**) at times be a reasonable and clever
solution.
It does depend on your specific page and image, indeed.
Please see the page I quickly put together for you
http://www.kirpi.it/logo/resizeable_image.html
Please resize the browser window, and see the images keep the same ratio.
It is just a **rough** example, a proof to better explain the matter:
try it with better images and set the values accordingly.

Just for fun :-)

Luigi