[pmwiki-users] fun with forms

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Thu Apr 19 15:39:00 CDT 2007

Pm wrote,
> Just to sneak peek how my version of forms processing is
> coming along, take a look at:
>
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleRating?action=edit&editform=Cookbook.RecipeInfoForm
>
> Comments and questions welcomed.

That's very slick.  Nice clean syntax, and the ramifications for
DataPlates, Acme, Fox, et al. are obvious.  ;-)

I could use some clarification on this line:
(:input default request=1 source={*$FullName}:)

The syntax doesn't appear to match that of the existing (:input default
name value:) tag.  Are request and source new parameters that can be
added to *any* (:input default:) tag, or are they two default
input/value pairs being specified in a single tag for some reason?  If
they are parameters of the form itself rather than defaults for
individual inputs, it seems to me the tag should be
(:input e_form request=1 source={*$FullName}:)
instead of input default.

Do I infer correctly that the source parameter (or default value) means
that all input values for the form are to be taken from the named page?
  Does it apply only to the current form, or to all forms on the page?
Does another, input-specific (:input default:) farther down in the form
override this form-wide default, or does the form-wide one override the
input-specific one?

What is the meaning of request=1?

I notice this form is not using the (:e_form:), (:e_savebutton:), etc.
tags but instead duplicates their functionality.  Why is that?  Do you
plan to use those tags in a later version of this recipe, or to keep the
syntax separate?

Looking good -- I look forward to seeing where you go with this!  --Ben