[pmwiki-users] ZAP and "fun with forms"

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Fri Apr 20 14:55:59 CDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> I'm wondering if Pm, or any current ZAP users have input on the
> direction ZAP should pursue?

Having just caught up on this thread, I tend to agree with Crisses that
(paraphrasing here) you should wait to accommodate this new
forms-processing until it's part of the core and has stabilized and been
documented.  For my part, I'll also update DataQuery and DataPlates at
that time (and not before), so that DataQuery will generate basic forms
using the core functionality and DataPlates will embellish the forms
with Acme/ZAP for additional functionality.

The one area where I think you (Dan) and Hans need to be sure to get
your two cents in is to make sure that your recipes will have a
clear-cut way to alter and/or prevent normal form processing when
necessary.  That is, you need to not only get your pre-processors
prepended to the $EditFunctions array so that they can handle commands
from (:zap:) tags or whatever, you need to be able to knock other
functions off of that array when the necessary conditions (as assessed
by your own functions) are not present... for example, because the page
has just been deleted, or a required field was not filled in.

I guess what I'm looking for here is an API for form processing.  Maybe
it's trivially easy to remove functions from $EditFunctions, but when
I've looked at the array myself, I haven't been at all clear as to which
function did what or why the tasks were divided up the way they are --
to pick one salient example, WritePage is not in that array; it's called
by PostPage, but page deletion is part of the PostPage function itself,
so that there is no DeletePage function, and pages can only be deleted
from one place: wiki.d.  Curious.  Perhaps someone who is more familiar
with the EditFunctions than I could take on their documentation.  --Ben