[pmwiki-users] LaTeX markup and PmWiki

José Geraldo Gouvêa jggouvea at globo.com
Mon Apr 23 20:16:27 CDT 2007

I am just about to start a Cookbook project related to the use of LaTeX
markup with PmWiki and would like to exchange ideas with you -- and
perhaps receive your contributions. The current place where I am hosting
the code and the data is this :
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LatexMarkup.

I have so far two ideas:

a) A Markup support so that text documents containing a subset of valid
LaTeX markup can be used as PmWiki source files. Such markup would be
mapped to html the same way PmWiki markup is, for instance:

\emph{texto} becomes <em>texto</em>

This would not require anything. Specifically, it would not require LaTeX.

The minimal markup I intend to use is mostly font formatting and the
most common environments. No math (for this there are other solutions
already implemented).

You may be asking: "What for?". The answer is simple: I would like to
put into PmWiki some documents I have written in LaTeX -- but I would
not like to be forced to convert them by hand. There is no such tool to
convert directly and using HTML as an intermediate format is not
feasible, the resulting documents are too poluted and you have no
control of the presentation.

Another possibility would be a conversion filter, just like the one
there is for MediaWiki markup, but I am not sure yet. Perhaps I would
like to keep the old format.

b) The second tool is to export PmWiki documents to LaTeX. As we all
know, pdfLaTeX produces beautiful PDF documents with just a bit of
configuration. If the action=print transforms PmWiki markup into basic
LaTeX markup you can just cut'n'paste it into a properly configured
LaTeX document and get a pretty printed document.

I would like to know what you think.

José Geraldo