[pmwiki-users] LaTeX markup and PmWiki

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 24 17:26:05 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:22:48PM -0300, Jos? Geraldo Gouv?a wrote:
> Kathryn Andersen escreveu:
> > I believe the PublishPDF recipe
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PublishPDF
> > does something like this, though I think it exports to some XML
> > format and uses a server which does the convert-to-LaTeX and
> > convert-to-PDF stuff.
> >
> > Kathryn Andersen
> >
> There are four reasons why I would like to have my own solution instead
> of PublishPDF:
>
> a) PublishPDF is overkill.
> b) PublishPDF is hosted externally.
> c) PublishPDF "exports to XML and uses a server which converts to LaTeX
> and then to PDF"
> d) It doesn't provide me control of the output.

I agree with all these reasons!  That's why I personally went the
GeneratePDF route, which uses htmldoc for the conversion to PDF.  It
isn't as pretty, but it's a heck of a lot easier to set up.  I agree
that having LaTeX would be nicer, since TeX produces lovely output.

> I want:
> a) A simpler solution, for simpler documents
> b) Using built-in conversion features
> c) Without the need of an intermediate format and without the need of an
> external server
> d) Producing LaTeX output, which I can choose to publish to PDF
> according to my own specifications.

This all sounds good.
So far as I can see, there are two potential routes for such a
conversion:
(a) to take the final HTML and convert that to LaTeX (similar to
what GeneratePDF does, passing the HTML to htmldoc)
(b) to take the PmWiki markup and convert that to LaTeX

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  The advantage of approach
(a) is that one can simply let PmWiki deal with the PmWiki markup

The advantage of approach (b) is that one doesn't have to deal with
(possibly arbitrary) HTML.  The downside of this is the question of how
one deals with the random arbitrary markup introduced by other recipes.

Kathryn Andersen