[pmwiki-users] pmwiki upload 'world write' always set

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 26 09:21:05 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:24:38PM -0500, Paul Carew wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
> Thanks for the reply. The files ends up being owned by 'apache'. We have
> added apache to the 'webadmin' group (the owner of the web directory tree
> that contains the pmwiki). We had to do this so that apache could 'write'
> the file in the first place.

If you followed the standard PmWiki installation steps,
you shouldn't have needed to add apache to the 'webadmin'
group.  So, something else occurred here.

My suggestion at this point would be to do the following:

1.  Make sure you have pmwiki.php without any modifications.

2.  Make sure the group ownership of wiki.d/ and its parent
    directory is 'webadmin' .

3.  Change the permissions on wiki.d/ to be 2775.  This will
    cause the directory to have rwxrwsr-x permissions.  Any
    files created in this directory will end up being in
    the 'webadmin' group, which means that the webadmin
    account will still be able to manipulate the files.

4.  Change the group ownership of any existing files in wiki.d/
    to be 'webadmin', and set all of the files to have 664
    (rw-rw-r--) permissions.

That should eliminate the need for world write permissions
on files in wiki.d/ .  If you have uploads enabled, you'll
want to do a similar process for the uploads/ directory
and any of its subdirectories.

Doing the above brings you to the same configuration that
would occur by following step 3b in PmWiki's installation
instructions ( http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Installation ).

Hope this helps,