[pmwiki-users] Why all this zapping?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 14:12:02 CDT 2007

Monday, April 30, 2007, 7:52:14 PM, Ben wrote:

> What is "Fox," if not a brand name?  --Ben

Fox is the name of a form processing script for PmWiki.
Just like Gemini, Triad, FixFlow: names for scripts, not brands.
I choose Fox because it is very short and I wanted something short for
use in the markup. Three letters was about right I thought.
And I wanted a name one can easily spell and pronounce.
Also Fox could be read as an abbreviation (?wrong word?) for
FOrm processing eXtension. I hoped it would be mnemonically easy, but
never thought of it as "brand".
And as to other pages carrying that Fox- prefix:
They are all demonstrations of what can be done with it, i.e. specific
applications, documenting its use.

Oh, and Fox is a cute and clever animal.
Perhaps related to Cayote the Trickster as in Reineke Fox? :-)
But I never thought that when deciding on the name.

If brand just means a recognised name then perhaps we do create recipe
"brands". But I associate "branding" and "brand name" with commercial
promotion of a product. And so far I have not associated PmWiki and
its modules with this.

  ~Hans