[pmwiki-users] Why all this zapping?

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Mon Apr 30 14:52:25 CDT 2007

On 2007-04-30 Ben Stallings is rumoured to have said:
> We deal with brand names every day, folks. Acme appears to be a brand name (like Apple), while ZAP is clearly a product (like Macintosh). Is that clear enough?

I an attempt to enlighten myself about the brand versus product, I
checked the current ZAP/Acme pages on PmWiki.org. I am now even more
confused.

All of the ZAP pages (and there is a Zap page too) seem to redirect to
Acme pages. In the main Acme page:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Acme

the first lines says "The Acme (ZAP) forms processor."

The Acme page has a support and download link that goes offsite to
http://www.zapsite.org which gets redirected to
http://www.fast.st/zapbeta/index.php

Low down on that page it refers to "ZAP's explosive decision to rename
the PmWiki recipe page to Acme". Everything else is ZAP-related or named.

I am not suggesting that ZAP be named Acme or Acme named ZAP, nor am I
in any way questioning the utility of ZAP or the hard work that Dan has
done to create it. I *am suggesting* that in the interest of a newbie
trying to understand what ZAP does and get ZAP working with PmWiki, it
would help a lot if there was one consistent nameset used for the recipe(s).

How about TRFKAZ? Which is "the recipe formerly known as ZAP". If a
leading "A" is desired, then use ARFKAZ, "a recipe formerly known as
ZAP".  ;-)

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/