[pmwiki-users] Preempting the edit password prompt

David Bruce Murray dbmurray at musicscribe.com
Mon Aug 6 10:00:50 CDT 2007

Q: Can I preempt the edit password prompt on links that don't yet have
pages?

The nature of my wiki requires edit passwords. When I started my wiki, I
encouraged editors to insert what I call "pre-links" in articles. For
example, an editor creating an article about "Bob" will go ahead and link
references to "Mary" or "Joe" even if no articles exist on Mary or Joe. My
reasoning was that other editors would notice these links and future
articles would be encouraged as a result. This is very confusing to a common
non-editor/reader, though, whose only interest is browsing the site. They
click one of the links with the ? mark beside it, and can't understand why
they're getting a prompt for a password. I would like to insert a message,
"This article has not been written yet. Please check back later" and also
have a way for editors to click from THAT page, submit their password, and
proceed to create the new page.

For the moment, I've asked editors to stop inserting pre-links until this
can be sorted out.

Thanks,

David Bruce Murray
www.musicscribe.com / dbmurray at musicscribe.com