[pmwiki-users] Spam and History

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Thu Dec 27 15:36:13 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:37:29AM -0500, DaveG wrote:
>> This page: http://mr2wiki.com/Main/TheWiki was edited with spam. When I
>> go to restore the prior version
>> (http://mr2wiki.com/Main/TheWiki?action=diff&source=y&minor=n) , there
>> seems to be no history. Any reason why not?
>
> 1.  Perhaps the page didn't exist prior to the spam?
I think it did exist, because the link to the original page has content
-- the spammer did not create the content.

> 2.  Perhaps all of the history was older than the value given by
>     $DiffKeepDays?
That is possible. However, it presents a problem for wiki's that change
infrequently; I guess I can simply increase the retention period.
Perhaps the $DiffKeepDays routine can be altered to retain only the 3 or
so most recent pages, rather than deleting the entire history?

> 3.  Perhaps the spammer deleted the page prior to spamming it.  If this
>     is the case, then the page history will still be available as a
>     ,del-xxxxxxxxx file in wiki.d/ and it can be restored from there.
Good point, although I have disabled deleting -- and confirmed that
there is no del- page.

So sounds like [2] is the likely culprit. I'll increase the retention
period.

  ~ ~ David