[pmwiki-users] Page List Degrades Performance

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Feb 3 13:12:02 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> In other words, some way of caching the result of a pagelist.
>>
>> Is that possible?
>
> Yes, it's possible, just a few details to be worked out.  :-)
>
>> I don't think the pagelist-trail recipe is what is wanted for this,
>> because I assume that that has the same problems as using a pagelist
>> directly -- every time the pagelist-trail is referenced, it has to
>> recalculate the contents of the trail by looking though the whole wiki.
>
> You're correct, which is why I haven't been too thrilled thus far
> with the idea of using pagelists for trail markups (as it would make
> things slow).  But caching would seem to potentially solve a lot
> of that.

Well, we have enough recipes that call for tinkering at the system
level (see the Auth User options that require .htaccess  expertise...)
other languages (javascript) etc...

How about  a "CachePageLists.php" script that
we fire at mid-nite on a daily cron?  If someone want
speedier updates, making having little puppy bark every 5 minutes
would still take huge strain off PHP and the CPU...

I know it's outside the PMwiki boundaries,
but could really work.  Of course for the "poor" installations
on virtual hosts who have very few "rights"  or very naive admins,
-- for whom "crontab" is from Mars -- setting a  cron may not be
an option, but, that kind of "weak" account
with any ISP is getting more and more rare.

Still it would be one option.

skts