[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 15:06:20 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 10:03:51AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:40:56PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > >The structure would be something like:
> > >
> > >   pmwiki/
> > >     pmwiki.php        # main PmWiki script
> > >     cookbook/         # directory for cookbook scripts
> > >     data.d/           # top-level writable directory
> > >       wiki.d/         # page file storage
> > >       work.d/         # temporary/work files
> > >     docs/             # basic documentation
> > >     local/            # local customizations
> > >     ...etc...
> >
> > I also would prefer 'var.d' or 'var' instead of 'data'. In the *nix wold
> > that means something, e.g. that you should be aware that applications
> > write data to it, so it might consume disk space.
>
> Lots of (most?) PmWiki administrators aren't familiar with
> Unix conventions, such as var/ .  I'd like something that's
> going to be quickly understood even by people who are unaware
> of the Unix meaning of "var/".

...and in saying that 'var/' might not be a good choice,
I also agree that 'data/' or 'data.d/' might not be good
choices either.  I just put 'data.d/' here as an example to
restart the discussion.

I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for what we
should name this 'top-level writable directory'.  (In fact,
it's my major block at this point.)  Ideally it should be
something that aids understanding by new PmWiki
administrators as to the directory's purpose.

I can accept 'data/' or 'data.d/' if we decide that's the
best, but I'd really like to hear others' opinions, since
I'm hardly the typical PmWiki administrator.  :-)

Thanks!