[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sat Feb 3 15:59:25 CST 2007

Saturday, February 3, 2007, 9:06:20 PM, Patrick wrote:

> I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for what we
> should name this 'top-level writable directory'.  (In fact,
> it's my major block at this point.)  Ideally it should be
> something that aids understanding by new PmWiki
> administrators as to the directory's purpose.

> I can accept 'data/' or 'data.d/' if we decide that's the
> best, but I'd really like to hear others' opinions, since
> I'm hardly the typical PmWiki administrator.  :-)

Being Windows conditioned :-( when I first got to know pmwiki I was
startled by wiki.d for a directory name, since it is not common for
directories under Windows to have dots in the name, it looks at first
like a file name with an extension.
"wikipages" or "pages" would have been clearer.
Now I am used to wiki.d (i.e. I am pmwiki conditioned).

"work.d" strikes me as equally potentially confusing, and as a
Windowsconditioned user I would prefer "temp", which would indicate to
me that files in there are of a temporary nature, not all that
important to keep when migrating, and likely to change or being
recreated all the time.

"data" I find even more unclear. Anything of a temporary nature like
in "work.d" I would not label as data.

To have wiki.d moved one step down the directory hierarchy means one
click more to access files directly, an inconvenience hopefully of
a minor kind.

To have  a "top-level" directory may be good, but we still have other
page stores at other places, i.e. wikilib.d of various kinds (pmwiki,
skins, recipes).

So my preferred choice would be not to have  a top-level "data"
directory. Instead just add a "temp" directory in the pmwiki root.
and leave wiki.d as it is.
Second choice would be, to tie the work directory to wiki.d:
have a wiki.temp directory inside wiki.d
In this case I don't mind the dot in the name, since it would
distinguish it from any other Group subdirectories.

Just my two p...

Hans