[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Feb 4 06:39:19 CST 2007

On 2/4/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:34:02PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> > I am not as up on all the ins and outs of the different options, but I
> > like Tom's idea very well, and for the reasons he gave...  Maybe with
> > this modification:

> > The advantage to this is it makes farm installations simpler and more
> > natural...
>
> This seems to assume that we want all of our fields to be held in
> subdirectories of the pmwiki root.  I have a number of
> situations where field roots are actually owned by different
> user accounts, and therefore cannot easily be subdirs of
> the pmwiki/ directory.

Actually I assumed a way could be made to put the field and local
directories anywhere, configurable by some kind of variable as now.

> It also looks weird that local/cookbook holds "field-only"
> recipes -- it seems like that anything that is field-only
> ought to be in the per-field directory, not in the farm's
> local/ directory.  (Stated differently, every field ought
> to have its own local/ .)

Yes, perhaps this is better (I like it!)...

> And as I responded to Tom's message earlier, we still have
> the situation where web-accessible files are now spread out
> across multiple directories, instead of being easily
> centralized in a single pub/ url root.

Are you saying something like this might be better still?

Just thoughts.  I know you'll come up with the best solution.  I do
think farms should be made as easy to set up and work with as
possible.

Cheers,
Dan